Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

All Hallow's Read 2015

When I decided to start expanding my circle of pen pals, one of the sites I found was the International Geek Girls Pen Pal Club (IGGPPC). One of the many features of the site is a swap forum, where users can organize swaps on all kinds of topics. While I've had abysmal luck in the past with swaps, I've tried a few since I joined and have had great experiences so far. One of the first swaps I joined was All Hallow's Read.

It started with this guy, Neil Gaiman:

The "rules" of All Hallow's Read are that you get a spooky/scary/etc. book that you like and give it to someone. Pretty basic. The IGGPPC swap organizer just took it a step further by letting people partner up with someone who wanted to exchange spooky books. I took a chance and ordered the book I planned to send, even before I had a partner assigned to me:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. 
After chatting with my partner, it seemed like she'd be okay with the above, so I wrapped it up and added some goodies (like the bookmark peeking out, above) and sent it off:
In addition to the book (wrapped): striped tape, mix CD, some goofy plastic skeletons & a small candle I made. Plus, naturally, a letter. I also included my pen pal intro card/quiz.
On Friday, I visited the Post Office and found a very decorated package waiting for me!
Hallowe'en Party, by Agatha Christie
This is a book that I've read, but I'm certainly not sorry to see it again! It's great because I grew up on mysteries and started reading Agatha Christie when I was quite young, but someone managed to miss this one until I was an adult. It's not spooky/creepy, but it is chilling (the book starts at a Halloween party, where a child is murdered), which totally works for the theme!

No comments:

Post a Comment