Pages

Friday, February 12, 2016

Homemade Marshmallows, revisited

As promised in the previous Homemade Marshmallows post, I have some updates for my marshmallow-making process. I probably won't do another post unless I have an amazing breakthrough or attempt mini marshmallows; watch my Instagram feed for pics of future attempts.

I mentioned in that first post that I wanted to try for a firmer marshmallow; it was really the only thing I wasn't happy with. I also wanted to try a different flavor after reading notes for making cinnamon, but I realized that what I wanted wasn't the spice, but the candy flavor, so I decided to combine two experiments. If I was very lucky, I'd end up with a firmer marshmallow that also tasted like the cinnamon candies I enjoy. Well, I was lucky and this batch did not last long (I shared at least half, I promise).

I only made a couple of tweaks to my original process, linked above:

  1. I upped the gelatin content to 25 grams (from 21). This was almost 4 envelopes (remember that the volume varies slightly by envelope, so weigh the powder - I can set aside or toss any surplus).
  2. I cooked the syrup for longer (will need to get that a little less vague). I'm really trying to avoid using a candy thermometer, but to be consistent, I might have to. In this case, I put everything in the pan, turned the (gas) burner to high, stirred a little, then let it cook for about 9 minutes, making sure it was really boiling well for a minute or two.
  3. At the very end of the whipping time, I added ¼ teaspoon of Lorann's super-strength candy oil in cinnamon flavor and a few drops of red food coloring*.

The result was my idea of the perfect texture. I wasn't sure if that ¼ tsp. was going to be enough flavor, but I decided to start with that and add more if needed (can't take it back). In the mixer, that amount seemed very hot and I was afraid I'd ruined the batch, but after it set overnight, it kind of normalized/calmed down. So what I ended up with was something that had a very strong cinnamon scent, but wasn't too hot. I don't think I'll mess with that amount. I might try this with other flavors; as much as I like using all natural ingredients, like preserves, that just adds even more sugar.

I took a lot more pictures of the cutting and coating process that I thought I'd share (click each to enlarge). I had to get back in the groove and remember all the tricks I had worked out when I first started.

I see references online to oiling your knife before cutting, but I've never had to do that. This is the kind of blade I use. Sorry I can't give any details about it - it was in the drawer. It may be the "cheese knife" that came with the set.

Rub a decent amount of powdered (confectioner's) sugar onto a cutting board or other surface and turn out the slab. However you want, get the top and bottom covered with powder,  and work it up the sides, too. While you're at it, now toss a handful or so of the powdered sugar into the pan you just emptied.

If you are into presentation, cut an inch or so off of each edge to help you make squares later. The edges curl up and always remind me of tentacles. They're perfectly edible -- I usually coat them in powdered sugar just like the smaller pieces and keep them for myself.

I am incapable of cutting perfect squares of any size on a consistent basis, but I come close by cutting strips as straight as possible, about as wide as they were high. Then I roll the strip in sugar, cut a second one and do the same. Now they won't stick together.

I cut two strips at the same time, aiming for a square, and toss the cubes into the pan.


Then I roll the cubes in the sugar and put them in a mesh strainer. A few shakes removes the excess sugar. All that's left is just enough to keep them from getting sticky. These I toss into a lidded container until I'm all done.

If I'm feeling generous, I package some up, add a label and share. I've used zip-style plastic bags, large party favor bags, pretzel bags, etc. (closing non-zip bags with washi tape). I prefer new, empty deli containers because they are not expensive and I can have multiple sizes on hand for leftovers, etc., too. But the food supply place was out last time we went so I got a package of these small disposable containers at Kroger (store brand) and just stuck a label on top.

Pic of my newest label (packaging might be one of my favorite parts of making things).

*To use enough of the grocery store (liquid) colorant to make the marshmallows closer to red would really impact the flavor, so they're pink. I've ordered some slightly-more-natural gel colorants to try in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment