Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Homemade Marshmallows

I don't really cook, by the normal definition. I do breakfast and I do sweets. Since sweets are not good for me, I don't make them a lot, but sometimes... I just gotta. I've been craving marshmallows for a few weeks and, last weekend, decided to make some. {Update at end}

My recipe is pretty much this one, except that I make a couple substitutions: Butter's Famous Marshmallows. I've tried several different recipes and this has a couple of things going for it, mostly that it's practically fool-proof and doesn't require a candy thermometer. Other than the sticky factor, the hardest thing about making these for me is buttering the plastic wrap. I'm still trying to perfect it - I'd like to get them a little firmer, but otherwise am very happy with this recipe and my changes.

[See Marshmallows, Revisited for some updates and cutting, coating, packaging tips!]

Substitutions/changes
Adding in vanilla bean paste
  • I use vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract (same measurement, generally). It's great for confections like this: it's a little sweeter, and you get these lovely little flecks of vanilla bean in the marshmallows. I've linked to the brand I like and the actual bottle I buy. Obviously, if you can find it locally (and in smaller bottles), do that. I do not have a lot of options where I live. 
  • If I'm making "plain" vanilla marshmallows, I use a little more of the vanilla bean paste (about 1 tsp. more than the 2 Tbs. called for). If I'm making other flavors, I don't add extra.
  • If you're using the Knox gelatin in the little envelopes, be aware that the weights vary from packet to packet. The recipe calls for 3 envelopes, but to be on the safe side, I weigh the gelatin before adding it to make sure I have 21 grams.
  • I just started using Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of light corn syrup. One bottle like those I linked to makes 2 batches with some left over. (Corn syrup is not the same as the high fructose corn syrup that I avoid like the plague, but I wanted to try to find a substitute anyway. In something like marshmallows, you can't replace the corn syrup with anything that crystallizes, so no honey or simple syrup. You need something known as an "invert sugar," and Golden Syrup is an okay substitute.)
  • I use the melted preserves method to flavor a batch, but I measure ¼ c. of syrup after heating and straining, instead of heating that amount of preserves. I use cherry preserves from Bonne Mamon (don't buy them from this link! It's just for reference. Even Wal-mart sells this stuff now for half this amount) - it melts great (not all do). And bonus: I can use the jars for candles. 
Ingredients
Notes
If you want to try making some yourself, you don't need a lot of specialized equipment, but I'd say that a stand mixer is essential, since you need to whip the mixture for at least ten minutes and be pouring boiling syrup at one point while the mixer is running. I use a heavy-bottomed pan to make the syrup in & would recommend a really good pan for that step. Beyond that, you need a glass/pyrex baking pan (or pans). The smaller the pan, the thicker the marshmallow. The 9x9" called for in the recipe would give you really thick marshmallows. I use a 9x13" (I think) pan and cut them smaller. 

The recipe doesn't call it out up front, but you also need unsalted butter (softened, half a stick is plenty) and clear plastic wrap.

Have a pan of HOT, soapy water ready to drop utensils, etc. in as you finish with them. Even if you're careful and don't have any spills, it's still a sticky activity, but as sticky as it is, it all melts away with some hot water.

Just-poured marshmallows. Enlarge to see the vanilla flecks.
I always let my marshmallows sit overnight before cutting (with at least a towel over the plastic wrap, and maybe a flexible cutting board). The next day, I cut and and toss them with confectioner's sugar. I put them all in lidded containers until I can repackage to share with friends. They're good fresh, but (if they last), I prefer them about a week old. 

Unless you have some kind of huge, industrial stand mixer, you cannot double this recipe. You have to make each batch separately.

In case you were wondering, traditional homemade marshmallows are not vegetarian. They contain gelatin. I'm sure there are alternatives, but I've never researched or experimented with alternatives. Update: Check out this post on a retired blog, that offers a free PDF download of a cookbook called Vegan Marshmallows Gone Wild! I have downloaded a copy for future reference.

Cherry Marshmallows, ready to coat & cut

Small packages for sharing with friends.

Update: The marshmallows shown here were made last weekend. Last night, I attempted an experiment and made/poured a batch of RedHots (cinnamon) and OMG. As soon as I can, I'll do a follow-up post with my modifications (upped the gelatin content slightly (4 g) and cooked the syrup long). I took many pictures the cutting and coating process and will focus on that for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment