Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Why I Collect Postage Stamps & How I Organize Them

Or, the benefits of having postage stamps on hand
I struggled with how to title this. I want to explain what got me started gathering (not sure "collecting" is the right word) postage stamps and/or why I continue to do it. 

Marshmallows Feb. 2016
Basically, it's so I can do this (right, and below) without going to the post office or standing in any line. As long as I keep my packages from crossing the 13 oz. mark (I keep them close to 12 oz. to avoid any scale discrepancies), I can apply postage and drop the packages in any mail box. I order current stamps from the USPS site & get vintage stamps mainly from eBay. While the USPS charges for shipping, the fee is pretty reasonable and it's worth it to avoid the line or dealing with *that* clerk. You know the one.

What got me started? It began about 6 years ago. Like most people, I may have had half a book of stamps somewhere around the house, but needed to mail several small packages. I took my little stack of 4 or 5 envelopes, and got in line. Not one of those packages reached its destination. Not a single one. What was my crime? "Sassing" a crabby counter clerk. 

When it was my turn, the clerk proceeded to grill me about the contents of my packages (5½x8½" booklets in catalog-size envelopes). She went above and beyond the call of duty when it came to the Hazmat questions (fragile, liquid, perishable, etc.). I would usually say something like, "no, none of them," and that would be good enough, but not for her: she wanted me to tell her exactly what was in each envelope. I swear, I felt like I was crossing the border. 

They were identical, yet each time, she asked me what it contained. I finally said "it contains nothing fragile, liquid, perishable or anything else you've asked me. It's paper. It's all paper. They're all the same." (Something like that - it has been a few years!) She stopped asking, I paid, and went on my merry way. And the rest is history. Like I said above: none of those packages ever reached their intended recipients. That's quite a petty little tantrum, and I vowed to never let her touch my mail again. 

At first, I just would let whoever was behind me in line go ahead if her window was the next one open. Then, I discovered cool, old stamps like Edgar Allen Poe, movie monsters, etc. and went from there to finding that you could order larger denomination stamps* and have a variety of basic, modern stamps. I may have gotten a little carried away with my collection (see video, below), but now I can put any price together with what I have on hand and send packages to my heart's content (you can easily do this with just current stamps). I just go to the PO to check my box and only stand in line a few times a year to hand over boxes with a pre-paid label. And so far, none of my packages have gone astray. 

Important note for organization: The face value is not printed on the stamp for many denominations  over 20¢ . This is no big deal if you are using it the way they intend, using a stamp for a service (which is printed on the stamp), but if you're going to use them to make up a larger rate, a way to identify the actual face value is essential. I use a 3-ring binder and a LOT of labeled sheet protectors. If there is a rate change, these unmarked/forever stamps will need to be relabeled, but right now, I know that this stamp is worth 71¢ and this one is worth 93¢, etc. 

Here's a peek at my collection and how it's organized:


Last week, I stood in line for 10 minutes because I was out of the $1.20 Global stamps and needed to mail something sooner than a shipment could arrive. Ten minutes later, I learned that they were out of them, too (as is everyone else). Total waste of time! I also find that even the friendliest clerks get agitated when you go there with a list of denominations you need, especially if there is anyone waiting behind me. The website is easier to navigate, although it's still arranged pretty strangely (the $2 Inverted Jenny stamps are not listed with the over-49¢ stamps; they are only on the "sheets" page & don't come up in their search (I can't even link to them easily)). I sat down the other night and ordered the stamps I was out of and paid via PayPal without standing in line behind three people doing complex transactions (attempting to rent a PO box without ID, sending a package without tape, applying for a passport...), without leaving my desk, or anyone rolling their eyes at me or making huffing, impatient noises behind me. 

Want to do this yourself? (My recommendations.)
  • You need a scale that does partial ounces (in the US (I got mine at Harbor Freight); a digital kitchen scale might work)
  • Get a copy of the measurement card** with the thickness slot cut out (print it on cardstock & laminate if you can) Note: I can not find a valid link for these right now. Check the postage label for an upcoming post.
  • Use the "calculate price" function of the USPS site religiously. 
  • Use the print & ship function when your domestic package exceeds 13 oz. and take advantage of the discount. These packages come with free tracking and insurance up to $25 or $50.
  • Have a few padded envelopes (dollar store unless you can buy in bulk) and some clear tape at least. (Get good tape. Can't go wrong with Scotch or Ducktape.)
  • A calculator comes in handy, so you don't add more postage than you need (or put on too little), but my computer has one, as does my phone, and my tablet, so I'm covered there. 
  • Educate yourself about the rules. Some post office associates don't even know their own rules really well. You know there is a 22¢ surcharge (non-machinable) if your envelope is square, rigid or you addressed it sideways? Do you know that you don't have to pay that 22¢ for each condition, just once per envelope? So, a square, rigid envelope isn't 44¢ extra like I've been charged in the past. It's 22¢ extra (and there's a stamp in that amount just for that purpose). By knowing this and applying the postage myself, then dropping it into a box, I don't have to have that argument anymore.
  • Then buy a sheet each of the small denomination stamps, and whatever you can swing for the higher denominations. $9 will get you 20 each (1 sheet) of the: 1¢, 2¢, 3¢, 4¢, 5¢, 10¢ & 20¢ stamps. There are also 22¢ stamps (great for that extra handling) & 35¢ (domestic post cards, add-on for heavier letter), and so on. If you want to get into vintage stamps, read my "guide" at the end of this post. You can benefit from some of my early mistakes!
---------------------------
*I don't buy anything more expensive than the $2 denomination stamps. Anything that crosses the 13-oz mark qualifies for a discount if you print your own labels, so I do that, even if it's less fun. I stock up on anything I can get that is between 49¢ and $1 - they come in handy when you're putting together the $3.15 or $2.74 rates. 

**AKA Notice 3A.  I have a plastic version and it is very handy. I'm not sure where it came from, though. I don't know how much they cost, but this page says that they are available at Business Mail Entry Offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment