Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

2016 Stamps Sneak-peek


Space. The Final Frontier. 
USPS 2016 Star Trek Forever stamps
Anyone that's been here before has probably figured out that I collect postage stamps to use on letters and small packages. Even though I have some fun vintage stamps, I've been pretty vocal on how jealous I am of other countries' less restrictive rules about what they can put on stamps (e.g. New Zealand's hobbits and Canada's Haunted Canada series). I haven't entirely changed my mind about that, but at least we're getting Star Trek stamps next year*! Plus several other space-related stamps.

A blog I read regularly, Letter Writer's Alliance (I'm a member, too), tipped me off about the announcement and sent me looking. You can see all of the planned releases on the USPS's blog post announcing the 2016 line-up.

In addition to the Star Trek stamps, I'm also excited about these space-themed stamps:

Views of Our Planets
Now that Pluto is out, they have a nice, even eight to work with.

Pluto - Explored!
 Neener, neener, planets. This not-a-planet got it's own series and you have to share.

Today, I learned that, in 1991, the USPS released a stamp declaring Pluto - Not Yet Explored (part of a series). It even had a Spock/Star Trek connection!

The Moon (Global)
Currently, the rate for the round global stamps is $1.20. They're great for sending postcards internationally, and letters (of a certain weight) as well (check rates). They're also great to have on hand for when you want to mail a small package and don't have room to put a ton of small-denomination stamps on it.
Honorable Mention
There are several other fun stamps I'm interested in for next year, but the only other one I'll post about is the Halloween stamp. 'bout time, USPS. I'd use these year 'round!

Excuses, excuses & an upcoming giveaway
I've been a little absent lately, but I haven't forgotten the blog!! I got my first migraine in 5 years a couple of weeks ago, which totally knocked me on my ass (weekends are usually when I put my entries together), then I got a scratched cornea during a procedure and had to wear a patch on my eye. Bummer, too, because not having regular posts is a good way to lose readers, and I haven't attracted that many yet. So, if you're still here, thank you!! My next post will be a show-off of some of my vintage space stamps, and there will be another giveaway, so stay tuned!

Right: Proof of eye patch. Also proof that I totally suck at taking selfies.



*Again. There was at least one previous Star Trek USPS stamp (33¢), but I wasn't aware of that until today. Envision me sitting on my hands (figuratively, since I'm typing), to keep from checking eBay for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment