Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Rubber Stamp Cleanup, part 2

I just threw away* a hug pile of wooden blocks from my stamp collection. It's okay - I took all of the stamp parts (dies) off first. Back here (part 1), I went through how I did that. The subject of this post is the next step: remounting them all onto static clink backing and getting them into their new storage/home. Read to the end for a mini giveaway.

Disclaimer: this was a personal decision for dealing with my property. Your mileage may vary and you need to make sure you want this and know how to do it. (I hate including these things, but I recently read some comments on a blog post or forum where someone just blindly followed a random stranger's tip for revising a planner and this person destroyed an expensive binder because they didn't think it through. So, basically, think it through.)

Material List (updated)


Stamps on thin EZ Mount
Unmounted stamps - see part 1 for the how-to. One update: since most of my collection was several years old, I was dealing with a lot of traditional red cushion mounting; however, newer stamps seem to be using this gray foam (similar to what is part of the static cling set up) and it does not always cooperate with the cold or hot process explained in my other post. It's not just the cheap ones like I thought. I paid a stupid amount of money for a large mounted stamp because I fell in love with the quote on it and didn't think to make a note and look online. Getting that off the block/foam was a nightmare**.


EZ-Mount Static Cling mount materials (with foam for just the rubber piece, "thin" for those with their rubber still attached). I can't recommend The Stampin Place highly enough. They ship quick and handled a delivery issue (not their fault) super fast (no affiliation).

Stamps on traditional (with cushion) EZ Mount
How much? If you can be more patient than I was, unmount your stamps first, then lay them out on sheets of 8½x11" paper, leaving some room to get your scissors around. That will give you a pretty good idea of how much you need. I used less than I thought I would, but also misjudged how many sheets of the thin cling I'd need, so I have just under 1 sheet of the normal thickness left over, and too much of the thin, which I probably won't use much of. Alternately, order a sheet of each and try a few stamps out to see if you like it.

Storage solution. I went with binders and the pages that The Stampin' Place sells and I'm very happy. I have two binders and got 1 set each of tabs and pages. The tabs came in handy because I have multiple themes in one big binder (see video). You can also probably use older CD jewel cases (not the super-skinny ones) or, probably, empty DVD cases. Whatever will allow you to group your stamps as you like and give them a firm surface to stick to.

Really sharp scissors, preferably with a non-stick surface (they'll still get sticky, but less so). I was very happy with the ones I ordered.

Alcohol swabs to de-gunk your scissors as you work.

Acrylic blocks in a variety of sizes. You don't need ALL of the sizes, but you do want a few because if the block is too big, it can wobble on the ink pad or your stamping surface. If it's too small, you can't get even pressure to make the impression. I advise getting a coupon and hitting one of the big box craft stores for a set. 

Damp paper towel, when it's time to put into your storage.

Instructions


  1. Once you've unmounted some (or all) of your stamps and have all of your materials, peel away the backing from the (very) sticky side of the EZ Mount (the side with all the printing). Set the backing aside to protect any leftovers. 
  2. Lay out your stamps on the appropriate thickness (thin for those with cushion still attached). I have blurry pictures of this process; if anyone wants to see, comment with a way to reach you and I'll share them via Drive or something. 
  3. Cut out, taking care not to undercut (any stamp surface with detail needs to be fully supported). I err on the side of caution and leave a small margin. Replace printed backing on the sticky side to preserve remaining cling sheet & put it away.
  4. Peel the paper backing off of the cling (non sticky).
  5. Place into your chosen storage system. If your stamps don't want to cling to the pages, dampen them slightly. I kept a damp paper towel with me as I organized my collection after my marathon mounting and cutting sessions; I just tapped the back of the stamp on the towel and pressed it down onto the page. 
Peek at my collection (continued apologies for the camera work and sound quality)




Mini Giveaway (updated to include image)

I have 1 sheet of thin EZ Mount to give away (US and Canada only this time, sorry). It was bent during shipment and replaced, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for someone else to try cling mount. The thin version is goof for stamps that still have their cushion attached. Want to try? Comment below. That's it. It's okay if you have won before. I'm aiming for FOUR comments this time. Oooh. But I'll end it in a week, regardless. On Feb. 21st, I'll pick a winner from the comments and mail out the sheet (so make sure I have a way to reach you!!). Easy as pie. No requirements to share (although I appreciate and love the shares) or to post on Instagram and tag people. Just comment. I'm also going to throw in a mini stamp pad (summer sky color), because I accidentally bought two of the same colo, and a 1" acrylic block. (Note: this sheet of EZ Mount is bent, but is good for mounting several stamps with cushion attached (also probably works for very small stamps).)


*They are all coated with something or have adhesives, stickers, etc. on them. I doubt they're recycle-able.
**Now that I have converted my entire collection, my goal is to never buy another mounted stamp (what a waste), so I do most of my shopping online, where many shops offer unmounted dies as an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment