Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Folder Letters

I wanted to write all about these cool letter folders I put together, but it turns out I only have one picture (I mailed the last one out today), so I pulled out an old one to show my progress. More to come: if one of the recipients posts images, I'll get their permission to share and all can be revealed; otherwise, I'll do a follow-up post when I make my next batch.

Folder Letter #1
These are probably known by other names. I've heard letter folders, too, and flip cards; if there is a proper name for these, maybe someone can let me know!

I tried one a few months ago, when I had virtually no supplies. It didn't turn out terrible (although it photographed terribly), but it felt wanting.

For this type of card, I folded the light card stock in thirds, then cut horizontal slits in an outer panel (not all the way across) and glued-down that third. which made pockets. I cut a different card stock (chartreuse, from PaperSource) for my questions & a short letter and used washi tape to turn them into a pages.

It wasn't perfect, but it was fun (and bright). I popped it into an oversized DIY envelope and sent it off.

Over the Giftmas weekend I decided to try making some with what I had on hand, based on one I recently received from a pen pal. It can be time-consuming, but I can see how it would be addictive! (It may also cost more to mail them if you don't pay attention to the thickness, which is why some of those I mailed recently might be on their way back to me as I type (see lessons learned at end of post).)

Supplies
First, I gathered up everything I thought I might be able to use. I'd recreate an entire folder if I had the right cards, but since I don't, pictured here are some of things I used, with links to sources where possible.

Basics: folded cards (smooth surface seems to work best), envelopes, washi or masking tape (at the very least to create the flaps or pages), additional card stock, tape runner, glue stick (I buy these by the case), scissors, X-ACTO knife, and paper cutter. Including little gifts, like tea or tape samples, is pretty typical and embellishments (like the office sticky notes and squirrel) are a nice touch. I also had a bunch of small treat bags and some glassine envelopes.

I have no special die-cutting machine, just a straight-edge paper cutter (with which I still cannot cut a straight line) and a few punches. I have not invested a lot of money specifically for this purpose. (The only thing I bought with this project specifically in mind were the little pre-made pouches, which I found in the teacher's section at an office supply company.) I don't have that much more in the way of "stuff" since my first attempt but I did let myself think outside the box a little more, which helped.

Folder Letter #2
 I had five black cards with matching envelopes, and that is what I used. I think they were A7 size, which was pretty good for this purpose.

Front: I took a water-based white Sharpie pen (gods, I love this thing) and just wrote "Hello..." diagonally (& hugely) across the front.

Inside cover: I cut a piece of black card stock to fit roughly the bottom half of the card & sliced horizontal slit about 2/3 down from the top, not all the way across. Using a my permanent tape roller, I glued down the card on the two sides and bottom; the top of the new piece and the slit formed two pockets. Along the top edge, I put some green grass tape and under the second pocket, I glued down a little pencil-themed tape flag, With the same white pen, I wrote "summer is coming" near the frozen-treat stickers I inserted in the top pocket. Into the second pocket went a washi tape sample card (most but not all shaped like a mason jar).

I cut down some small two-sided card stock squares so they wouldn't extend past the card's edge, and taped them to the center with some patterned masking tape. Onto the front "page," I glued a pouch and added reading-related embellishments. On the flip side of that, I glued down one of those orange squirrel notes and taped to its paw a tiny bag holding a squirrel D-clip (paper clip).

On the inside back cover, I taped down (overlapping) two more goodies: a bag of my favorite tea (in a small treat bag) and a glassine envelope holding 2 letter-writing themed stamps.

Then, the important part: I wrote letters on thinner-than-usual paper and folded them into the pouches. It all fit easily into the accompanying envelope.

For one, I had mail tag to answer, so I made another page, taping it to the back cover (top, bottom or side would have worked; I did one of those). The idea of these folders/cards, in all their forms, is to make the experience interactive, so the center page could have been just as easily taped at the top as in the center.

Lessons learned:
  • I need to pay attention to the thickness of the packages. A slightly heavier envelope might cost around $1 to mail (94¢?) domestically, but a too-thick letter can become a package (closer to $2). I didn't think to see if the envelope would fit through the slot in the tool* I have until today, so 2 of them will probably come back to me. Next time, I'll try not to overlap and might have to skip the tea. Or, simply calm down and not try to send so much at once.
  • I definitely need to get better-quality cards for the base - trying to re-position washi tape on these was a pain, since it pulled away the cards' surface. But, as long as I went slowly and didn't have to pull up tape too often, they worked out okay. 
  • Dare I say that my letters might be too long? The too-thick envelope from this AM was 3 full sheets, front and back. I might need to make myself be less chatty when sending these and make it all fit onto 1 sheet. 
  • Thinking outside the box is good. I probably had plenty of things to make my first folder more fun, but didn't think about it enough. 
  • I'm glad I made all of them (5) at once. Then they were done, and were just ready and waiting as I finished letters for them. 
My goal is to get one of some kind to each of my pen pals (I'm keeping track). 


*Here's a PDF you can print onto card stock and cut a hole in. I don't know where my fancy one came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment