Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Reclaimed Postage Stamps Tutorial

This tutorial will show you how to reclaim non-canceled vintage (gummed) stamps from messed up envelopes (or for collage purposes).

Far too often, I mess up envelopes I'm planning to mail, or decide not to send something, so I definitely want to get those stamps back before the envelope goes in the trash! Because I order stamps via eBay a lot, I sometimes get cool stamps on packages that I might be able to use in a collage. Older, gummed stamps are far easier to reclaim than modern, pressure-sensitive (sticker) style stamps*; I have not had wonderful luck getting the sticker-style stamps off of paper, but have had amazing luck reclaiming vintage/gummed stamps.

This how-to is not for stamp collectors who put stamps into albums. You really want to find an expert (there are probably several on YouTube) who will demonstrate what tools, etc. to use. 

First, cut off the section containing the stamps (top pic). 

Cut out each stamp close to the edge without cutting the actual stamp. (If the stamps are still connected, you can leave them that way.)

Next, get a large, shallow bowl or dish and fill it with hot tap water. 

One by one, add your cut-apart stamps and tap them gently to submerge. Just do a few at a time - a little gumming may remain and you don't want them to stick together!

Wait a few seconds. It may take longer, but in the batch I did this morning, one stamp was floating free from its backing before I had added them all to the bowl.

Remove the stamps from the water with your fingers or tweezers and lay them on a paper towel. I usually set them out face up, flip them after about a minute (shown, right), then cover them with something lightweight & water-resistant to keep them flat (and safe from the cats' antics). 

When they're completely dry, put unused ones back (wherever you keep your stamps (I keep mine in a 3-ring binder, with one labeled sheet-protector for each denomination)) and toss the used ones into your ephemera collection.

When you're ready to use your reclaimed stamps, you'll need a good adhesive (I use Elmer's extra-strength office glue sticks; some craft glue sticks don't hold as well).

*Bonus pic, and a promise: I'll put together a tutorial showing how to retrieve modern, self-adhesive stamps from messed-up envelopes (or SASEs included in begging envelopes).

Update: done! See tutorial, here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment