Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

If Only You Could Really Mail a Donut

In less than one week, I will be able to have my first real doughnut in over 3 years. Seems longer. It's a long story and I promised no diet content, so let's just say that I'm devoting an upcoming long weekend to transitioning back to eating gluten (only possible because I voluntarily went off of it and became intolerant as a result - I'm going to pay, big time, for the pleasure of eating real bread again).

I've missed doughnuts, plus I think they're cute, so when I spotted these "Doughnotes" cards, I knew I had to have them. However, I wasn't entirely sure about how flimsy the glassine (wax paper) envelopes appeared.

Looking for the Vintage Stamp giveaway? Check out this post!

I'm a blogger, so naturally, I decided to perform an experiment & then write about it. I put a call out on IG and Facebook and asked for a guinea pig and got two takers. I picked out a couple of cards and wrote greetings to my two friends, then got ready to mail. I immediately knew that I didn't like the idea of a transparent envelope when it came to the back of the cards, so I inserted a piece of blank paper behind the doughnut. I sealed these two envelopes with cute polka-dot washi tape (see end of post for the even better option I found last weekend), added some fun postage and popped them in the mail.

Days went by, too many it seemed, but there may have been a holiday in there somewhere. In truth, I think they took one day longer to process, then I received pictures from my friends. The envelopes had arrived! One was a little more rumpled than the other, but they were otherwise intact!



Verdict: the labels are tiny but they do coordinate with the bakery theme. I'm not sure that I'd risk mailing one overseas (but I'm up for it if there is another guinea pig out there*). They are good for short missives, as long as you don't mind writing around the hole in the middle. The best part, I would think, is seeing a doughnut in your mailbox.

I recently sent another card out, this time just as a regular greeting (no test). The only difference is that, this time, I had SPRINKLE tape to close the envelope.

Doesn't that just complete the picture?! (Sorry for the poor-quality pic.) Unfortunately, I can't link to the product, as I've not been able to find it online from a source I can recommend. It's from Scotch, in their Magic line; I found it at Office Max in with all of the washi tape. (It's like regular tape, but with a pattern printed on it: it is not washi.)

Update: this particular mailing didn't fare so well. It reached its destination, but the envelope was crumpled and torn.


*Seriously. I'll mail one overseas or to Canada to see what happens. All I would ask is that you don't show my return address if you post pics, and that you send me a pic of it when it arrives to possibly share here. Comment or email me at mel.writes.letters at gmail dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment