Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

When Good Envelopes Go Bad

That title might be a little extreme, but on Friday I did mail out some letters in envelopes I'm not terribly excited about or proud of. I keep buying new craft supplies and just play with them. Nothing wrong with that, in the least, but this time, maybe, I should have looked up some directions or something.

I hope my pen pals are still excited about getting letters, even though the envelopes are kind of hideous.

They didn't start out ugly. These are all PaperSource #10 envelopes in Curry. I just love deed-style envelopes (open on the short end) and theirs come in gorgeous colors and are nice and sturdy.

I got these spray inks and had a vision of lightly flecked colors across the edges of the envelopes. It's not quite how they turned out, but I just kept going, thinking I might end up with a tie-dye kind of thing. Not so much, but at least they're BRIGHT.

I added some washi tape here & there (mostly on the left edge that isn't shown above). Then I discovered that I didn't have a pen that really made the addresses stand out, so I had to use labels on a couple.

Basically, they're a hot mess that I hope actually arrive at their destinations. I also hope that the fun postage stamps and the letters will make up for the chaos on the outside.

There are too many individual stamps to list here, but you can always leave a comment if you want details.

"Let me know if you don't receive this" is one of my favorite rubber stamps to use for the first time I'm writing to someone. It's quirky and a little Discordian. Kind of like me.


I also received some mail! I had to cover most of the blue envelope, but my address was written in calligraphy and there are little flower stickers all over the back.

The big envelope is from someone with a way better & bigger rubber stamp collection than me! Seriously, @fairyartmother is a snail mail and mixed media artist that I was matched with for a swap recently and we agreed to continue exchanging letters. Gotta say, I get a kick out of being referred to as "the Mel..".

Thanks, pen pals, for bringing light to dreary days.

1 comment:

  1. :D I used to make envelopes out of pretty calendar pages. I bought a template for making them. It's a good time of year to look around and ask people for their old calendars after January!

    ReplyDelete